Blog Advertising - Get Paid to Blog

Sunday, September 9, 2007

Websites - building one yourself or paying to have one built?

Currently I am thinking of having my first commercial website built and this question has been running around in my head. I am considering forking over a large amount of money for something I do not know will make me anything back. I have a decent amount of IT knowledge (I even run a tech tips blog), and have even built some small and crappy websites before, but lets look at the pros and cons of each. (I am assuming little or no coding knowledge)

Build it yourself

Pros

  • Cheap
  • You can design it exactly how you want
Cons
  • It might look cheap or not work very well
  • It might take you a lot longer than expected

Pay someone to do it

Pros
  • It should look professional and work well
  • It should be done fairly quickly
  • Designers can often provide a domain name and hosting saving you the hassle
Cons
  • Expensive
  • The web designer / developer might not understand exactly what you want
My opinion
If the website is primarily designed to make money then you should probably spend some money to make it as professional as possible. If it is a personal site or just a hobby then have a go at building it yourself - it can't hurt!

No comments: